Friday, 6 November 2015

Review: Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes



Author: Morgan Rhodes
Pages: 412
Publisher: Razorbill Canada
Release Date: December 11, 2012
Status: Falling Kingdoms #1

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

In the three kingdoms of Mytica, magic has long been forgotten. And while hard-won peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest now simmers below the surface.

As the rulers of each kingdom grapple for power, the lives of their subjects are brutally transformed... and four key players, royals and rebels alike, find their fates forever intertwined. Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus are caught in a dizzying world of treacherous betrayals, shocking murders, secret alliances, and even unforeseen love.

The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

It's the eve of war.... Choose your side.

Princess: Raised in pampered luxury, Cleo must now embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of magic long thought extinct.

Rebel: Jonas, enraged at injustice, lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country cruelly impoverished. To his shock, he finds himself the leader of a people's revolution centuries in the making.

Sorceress: Lucia, adopted at birth into the royal family, discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Heir: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, firstborn son Magnus begins to realise that the heart can be more lethal than the sword....

***
I actually finished this book back in the summer of 2014, but hadn't written a review on it till recently, when I decided to go clean my bookshelf.

Falling Kingdoms from the get-go has a lot going on (as hinted in the synopsis): four main characters, intrigue, romance, love, betrayal and rebellion.

I was initially not going to re-read this book (because I didn't really have that strong of an opinion of it the first time I read it; probably because I read it that summer I went to Quebec, and it just got jumbled with the rest of my memories), but then I remembered how much I enjoyed A Book of Spirit and Thieves. 

Most books that deal with this many characters and interweaving story plots tend to get a little confusing at times, or at least, the book focuses more on specific characters', and tends to forget the others- that was not the case with Falling Kingdoms. At times, yes, I couldn't help but draw comparisons to other books and television shows I've read/seen at the moment, but for a 1st book in a huge series, it does set the tone for the other books that follow it. There's a lot in this book, and the plot may seem easy to follow at first, but the actions created by the characters hint at a larger and much more horrific battle than they all ever imagined.

While I did find some parts slow, it was a great story overall. I totally recommend this novel to anyone that's a fan of high fantasy.



1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to read this one, and I'm really glad to know that it wasn't too confusing! I really like high fantasy but that is a problem I find in a lot of the high fantasy books I end up not enjoying. :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...