Friday, 9 October 2015

RTA 103: Your Digital Diary and Infographics

As a blogger, it's kinda of hard of me to make a set stance on my thoughts on tracking and sharing information.

It's a good thing for me to let my followers see what's going on in my (bookish part of) life, and see my reading updates through my Goodreads progress (which I need to add on my blog again, because blogger deleted it when I was changing my templates). It's also good for me if my followers see my tweets to learn about promotions and contests (and occasionally they get some school stuff thrown in there), and it's an AMAZING day when they decide to 1+ my posts (to give it boosts) and share my link. It reflects my habits as a blogger to publishers and authors in the book industry. However, the non-blogger side of me finds it a little scary that we can find ourselves (and now sites can find us) with one search and it can change our lives forever.

Our society definitely encourages it; its very hypocritical for a company to be against sharing and following, since it does bring them a lot of business as well. We put a lot of dependancy on technology in our culture (McLuhan was really right about that technological determinism theory), to the point where people get bullied by it, and at times, unfortunately die. Although technology is good in many ways, there are a lot of consequences to it, which I believe is due the fact many people feel invincible online.

After this 24 hour experiment, I learned I use social media a lot, especially when I am bored. I use Twitter the most, followed by Instagram and Tumblr. I also learned I check my emails (my 3 main ones) quite frequently as well.

***
During this week's lecture, we also learned about infographics. Infographics essentially give us information in a compelling way, with good visuals. They are easy to read, and at most times, catch a person's eye.

These infographics below are good infographics because they are compelling, have good visual, good data, and sharability.

The infographic, Do Women Write Better Than Men?, is a good infographic because it ties in with the literary style (the typewriter, sticky notes, and other visuals), and there is a uniformed colour scheme- no crazy colours, they all compliment each other. Aside from the top, where there are a lot of words, the information is pretty much to the point. It also emphasizes the percentages for anyone who just wants a quick skim of the infographic.


This second one, Infographic on Infographics, proves to be a good infographic because of it's use of graphics- they are all uniform, just like the font used. Nothing crazy, nothing seems out of place, especially with the graphics and charts- none of them look like clip art. Also there isn't that much writing in this one than the one above, and I think it really just caters to its audience more, because the one above seems to be targeted to people who enjoy reading.


1 comment:

  1. people that work on these departments are not considered journalists, and writers . blog comments

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...