Wednesday, 28 October 2015

RTA 103: Bloggers' Choice (Yay!)- The Kensington Project

I like how we're given the option to choose our topic for this week, however, I feel like my creativity has dried out-- it took me awhile to actually come up with something to write about this week. I guess, after all the motion graphic lectures, the final assignment has been on my mind for awhile. 

I'm doing my trailer for a story that I am currently writing entitled, The Kensington Project. The story takes place in an alternate universe where everyone is segregated between colour, race, and gender, with their only similarities being their first names (everyone is named Jane or John) and being controlled by the Governors. When Jane Alexa meets a mixed race boy, John Daniel, her life gets turned upside down; shipped to House of Governors in the city, she fears the worse, but what she experiences is the opposite. Instead of being condemned by the Governess and her advisors, she is encouraged to pursue her relationship with John Daniel, and finds herself thrust into the middle of an integration campaign. But the longer she stays, the faster she realizes that not everything is what it seems, and soon uncovers the Governors' dirty secrets.

The story is actually based on the Kensington system which was enforced by Queen Victoria's mother, the Duchess of Kent, and her advisor, Sir John Conroy. It had the world's most ridiculous rules, and was literally a huge ruse just to get her to break so when Princess (later Queen) Victoria ascended to the throne, she'd rely on them- which did not happen. I wanted to use Queen Victoria's oppression and place it in a setting where the character is severely segregated and the world was very similar to ours. 

For the trailer (due to its limited time frame) wanted to feature some dialogue that I've written in the story, and create a build up to the actual title. I was inspired by the Marco Polo's Ink-Drawn Title Sequence, which can be found here. I am actually drawing most of the title sequence, and am still trying to figure out how I'm actually going to execute it, but the title sequence is a huge inspiration for me. I recently purchased a sketch book and calligraphy pens to create the title, and if I do go through with the ink-inspired bleeding in the sequence, I think I'm going to have to do most of it on Photoshop. I'm keeping it simple- it will be black and white- and I am going to record some original audio as well. That's all I have now- just a blur of ideas. What I DO KNOW is that I'll have to watch a lot of Lydia.com tutorials for this assignment. But I am excited. I think I'll just make a full length one for my own amusement. Ironically enough, I'm not done the entire story; the only reason why I'm doing it based on this is to inspire some more plot points.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...