Friday, 3 July 2015

ARC Review: A Book of Spirits and Thieves by Morgan Rhodes


Author: Morgan Rhodes
Pages: 368
Publisher: Razorbill Canada
Release Date: June 23rd, 2015
Received from: publisher
Status: Spirits and Thieves #1

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

Modern-day sisters discover deadly ancient magic in book 1 of this Falling Kingdoms spin-off series!

Worlds collide in this suspenseful, page-turning Falling Kingdoms spin-off series, which explores a whole new side of Mytica—and an even darker version of its magic.

Crystal Hatcher, Modern-day Toronto: It’s a normal afternoon in her mother’s antique bookshop when Crys witnesses the unthinkable: her little sister Becca collapses into a coma after becoming mesmerized by a mysterious book written in an unrecognizable language.

Maddox Corso, Ancient Mytica: Maddox Corso doesn’t think much of it when he spots an unfamiliar girl in his small village. Until, that is, he realizes that she is a spirit, and he is the only one who can see or hear her. Her name is Becca Hatcher, and she needs Maddox to help get her home.

Farrell Grayson, Modern-day Toronto: Rich and aimless Farrell Grayson is thrilled when the mysterious leader of the ultra-secret Hawkspear Society invites him into the fold. But when he learns exactly what he has to do to prove himself, Farrell starts to question everything he thought he knew about family, loyalty, and himself….

Fate has brought these young people together, but ancient magic threatens to rip them apart.

***
A Book of Spirits and Thieves introduces two different worlds- our modern age and the mystical and mysterious world of Mytica- colliding together as one, creating an epic new tale unique to the YA genre!

The book is a mixture of contemporary mystery and fantasy intrigue, and will make you fall in love with Rhodes' adept writing skills. The cross-over between two worlds is something that I haven't really come across in the YA genre that often (I think I can recall one book, and even then, I'm not entirely sure if it counts...), and I can honestly say that Rhodes does a good job at incorporating both worlds well. While the majority of this book is set in modern day Canada (I love how she set it in Toronto), Maddox and Mytica itself are woven into the story really well.

Personally, I do enjoy the Falling Kingdom series (the spin-0ff to this one). And while the books are really great, and the characters make you fall in love and cry at the same time, I will admit, I had difficulty reading the first book because it just didn't get to me till midway into the novel. However, I can say, while I do like FK, I did like this book a lot better, and no, it's not because Toronto was mentioned in it.

I think the reason why I enjoyed ABoSaT a lot more than FK is the fact that half the story takes place in modern day, its easier to connect with I guess- I mean, in the beginning Crys has a part-time job, and I think we can all connect with the pros and cons of having one; in the beginning of FK, there's a murder and a baby stolen. The story plot still has a long way to go (its the first book in a trilogy), but it gives off a lot of potential.

In the novel, the characters are fantastic as well, and my favourite character was Crys, as she's everything I want: protective, fierce, and side of badass-ness!

This was a great book, and I really recommend this to everyone! Seriously. Even if you haven't read the Falling Kingdom series and are a little effy to pick up the books, if you read this book, your misgivings and hesitation will totally go away!



2 comments:

  1. *raises hand* I am one of those people who enjoyed A Book of Spirits and Thieves without reading Falling Kingdoms. I actually preferred reading about Mytica, rather than Toronto, which made the story a little slow for me at first. It really picked up at the end though! Crys is a favorite of mine as well! Total badass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mytica is awesome to read about, and yeah, there were times in the beginning where TO made the story slow down a bit. But the story was awesome, and it's a good book :) and YES, Crys is a total badass! Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...