Thursday, 26 March 2015

Review: Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier

Author: Kersten Gier
Pages: 200+
Publisher: Square Fish 
Release Date: October 30th, 2012
Status: The Precious Stone Trilogy, Book 2

Synopsis:

Gwen's life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she's been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.

At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he's very warm indeed; the next he's freezing cold. Gwen's not sure what's going on there, but she's pretty much destined to find out.

***

Sapphire Blue was a fantastic book that I could not put down till I reached the cliff-hanger ending that made me want more!

The book picks right where the first book, Ruby Red, ended. Immediately, we are introduced to a new (but loveable) character, Xemerius. After the events of the first book, Gwen is being watched even closely than before. She does her best to prove that she's worthy, and later even becomes independent.

What I loved about this book was that Gwen grew more in this book, although the transition was a little slow, as she compared herself to Charlotte constantly. But then, I had to stop myself because the course of this book happens in days- the entire series literally takes up the span of (probably?) a month, so Gwen does develop pretty fast for someone in her circumstances. What I also loved was that we got to see more of Leslie doing what she does best: being Gwen's best friend. She is awesome, and is always there for her, and she is EVEYTHING that you want in a friend.

Another thing that I loved as we'll was that Gideon started to let down his walls and wasn't a complete jerk as he was in the first book. We see through their [his and Gwen's] trials and tribulations that Gideon does deeply care for Gwen, and values her trust. But one thing I didn't like was that Raphael, Gideon's brother, didn't have a bigger role! He popped in from time to time, even helping Gwen, but I just would've LOVED to see him more as a character. 

The ending was really interesting, and I'm not happy that Gier left me in suspense! She created this world with wonderful and amazing characters, that this book was really hard to put down. But my final criticism for this book was the fact that they changed her name form Gwendolyn to Gwenyth, because Gwendolyn is used by English people! There were a lot of parts of this book that made me laugh (especially with the ways the characters spoke at times) because of the translations. This book is so amazing, I want to learn German so I could read the original and get the original inside jokes! I have a lot of hopes for the final book, as this book was amazing!

Rating- 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...