Friday, 27 March 2015

Review: Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier

Author: Kerstin Gier
Pages: 300+
Publisher: Square Fish
Release Date: October 8, 2013
Status: The Precious Stone Trilogy #3

Synopsis:
Gwen has a destiny to fulfill, but no one will tell her what it is.
     She’s only recently learned that she is the Ruby, the final member of the time-traveling Circle of Twelve, and since then nothing has been going right. She suspects the founder of the Circle, Count Saint-German, is up to something nefarious, but nobody will believe her. And she’s just learned that her charming time-traveling partner, Gideon, has probably been using her all along.     Emerald Green is the stunning conclusion to Kerstin Gier's Ruby Red Trilogy, picking up whereSapphire Blue left off, reaching new heights of intrigue and romance as Gwen finally uncovers the secrets of the time-traveling society and learns her fate.

***
Emerald Green is the final book in the Precious Stone trilogy and leaves readers breathless till the final page! Kerstin Gier has created another phenomenal adventure for all ages!

The story picks up right where book two, Sapphire Blue, ended. I love how Gier is able to transition the story from the last book well, and keeps the pace going, while not giving a complete recap of the entire story thus far in the first couple pages.

What I loved about this book the most was the emphasis on family. While Charlotte and Glenda, and Grace and Gwen still butt heads, there is a united front among family and friendship in this book. I loved seeing Gwen's little brother and sister help her find what Grandpa Lucas hid for her. I love seeing the team work between Raphael and Gideon. This book did bring out the secondary characters more than it did the first book, however, I wished they played a bigger role in general because from their interaction with Gwen, we get a glimpse of their amazing personalities.

Since this book emphasizes family, it's nice to see the back story of some of the Montrose family. I love how we saw a glimpse of Charlotte's parents, and it was nice to see that Lady Arista and Lucas actually had a loving marriage. 

I found that my favourite character in this book was Grandpa Lucas. I love the bond that both he and Gwen both share, and I am really upset he only became an important figure near the end of book 2, and we only see him a bit in this book. I felt like the author, while skillful at making wonderful characters, tried fitting dialogue or a role for them in this book, because it was the last one. I felt like it was rushed, but regardless, I still love the characters.

I loved the character development of both Gwen and Gideon in this book. Gwen's learned to be more defiant, and I love how she stopped thinking about Gideon's approval for things; she, in a way, did go behind his back, but she did it because she knew it was the right thing to do. I honestly thought that Gideon was just going to be one of those characters that don't change by the end of the series, but I was surprised that he did. In terms of character development, I understand why they changed so quickly- like in the other review, this book takes place probably a week or two after the first book. I love how they learned to trust each other, and respect each other. I would have liked to know more about their status of relationship at the end though.

Overall, I loved the book and I thought it was great. The only thing I DIDN'T like at all was the fact that it ended so fast! I say this about a lot of books, but this book was about/over 300 pages. The story was okay, but it was slow at parts, and did leave some questions unanswered. But the entire book was devouted to solving their problem, and then the last chapters, we suddenly solved it. And then it ended. The book was probably mostly filter, and then you actually have the actual story. 

Regardless, it was a good book, and it's still worth reading. This is a series you cannot not finish reading!

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...