Tuesday, 24 March 2015

ARC Review: Liars INC by Paula Stokes


18009950

Author: Paula Stokes
Pages: 368
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: March 24th, 2015
Received from: Edelweiss (ebook)
Status: standalone


Synopsis (from Goodreads):

For fans of Gone Girl, I Hunt Killers, and TV's How to Get Away with Murder.

Max Cantrell has never been a big fan of the truth, so when the opportunity arises to sell forged permission slips and cover stories to his classmates, it sounds like a good way to make a little money and liven up a boring senior year. With the help of his friends Preston and Parvati, Max starts Liars, Inc. Suddenly everybody needs something and the cash starts pouring in. Who knew lying could be so lucrative?

When Preston wants his own cover story to go visit a girl he met online, Max doesn’t think twice about hooking him up. Until Preston never comes home. Then the evidence starts to pile up—terrifying clues that lead the cops to Preston’s body. Terrifying clues that point to Max as the murderer.

Can Max find the real killer before he goes to prison for a crime he didn’t commit? In a story that Kirkus Reviews called "Captivating to the very end," Paula Stokes starts with one single white lie and weaves a twisted tale that will have readers guessing until the explosive final chapters.

****

Liars INC is an enthralling book from start to finish. It's a story where you won't suspect a thing, and one that will stick with you for days!

Since I'm on the street team, you would suspect me to naturally say nice things about this book. But this book, despite it's own obstacles, is an amazing one.

At the beginning (for the first couple chapters actually), I was not really into the book. In fact, it took me awhile to finish this book than it did to read Stokes' first book, Art of Lainey. It's not because it was terrible, I just didn't connect with anything in the story. For the first few chapters, I thought all the characters- including Max- were too stereotypical for their genre, and at times, found Parvati dramatic and annoying, and Preston too good to be true. But as the story continued, my opinion did a COMPLETE 360!

Once I passed the first couple chapters, I really got into the story, and was eagerly trying to piece together who would frame Max. The book had great humor, and it did have a lot of Gone Girl themes in it- ESPECIALLY near the end!

The characters also changed in my eyes, and I soon found myself sympathizing for Max, and then later, actually enjoying his character. The other characters also changed in my eyes as well, and it was weird since the people I hated were the ones I liked and vice versa.

The book keeps you guessing, and Stokes throws a lot of theories as to who could have framed Max. I will be honest with you, I pride myself on being able to figure out who is the actual culprit in most books, and I was REALLY upset when I learned who it was, because I had a slight feeling, but I didn't want to believe it, because all the other theories that Stokes creates for her story is believable. I think an author who can lead me astray that way, is amazing, and while I love her writing, I'm a little upset that she deceived me (but don't worry Paula, I'll still read your books!).

This book has a lot of twist and turns, and creeps up on you when you least expect it. I went in really excited to read the book, to later only end up disliking the first couple chapters, to not being able to put it down!

I think Kirkus is right when they said that the book is "captivating till the end", because it is. It makes your mind wander a million directions, and plays with your heart strings! Overall, this was a great book that I think you all would enjoy!


Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...