Monday, 22 December 2014

Review: The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

17347389

Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Pages: 416
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: September 17th, 2014
Status: The Raven Cycle #2

Summary (from Goodreads):

Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same.

Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life.

Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after...


****

Unlike most YA series, I never actually expected to be picking up the second book to the Raven Cycle. It wasn't like the first book was terrible, but it was just the fact that the first book was pretty good and interesting, yet lacked the action and the excitement that I was looking for. In my defense, it was the first time reading any of Stiefvater's books, and I was still getting use to her writing style.

I picked this book up on a whim at the library, and guess what? I actually liked it very much!

The Dream Thieves isn't really a continuation about Blue and Gansey from the first book, but a story about our favourite truth-telling and overly sarcastic bad-boy, Ronan Lynch (with dashes of everyone else's story put into it as well).

What I liked about this book is the fact that we got to learn about Ronan more, and see him as an entirely different character. His backstory and his emotional connection to his father and dreaming really does bring his character to life. In addition to Ronan's back history and new found abilities, we get to see the other characters in a new life as well.

I found that Adam's character seems more dangerous than Ronan's. I feel like I mentioned this before in the Bookish Book Theories and the review of the first book, but to make myself clear, he is not a trusted character. There are many moments that we sympathize for Adam's character, but there is this wickedness that's tied to his yearning to be like or more than Gansey that makes him scary. Add in the fact that he's tied to Cabbeswater, you have a boarderline villain in the making.

Although book 2 focuses on Ronan, yes, you do see some Jane and Dick moments. I like how their relationship is slowly building, but I don't know how I'm supposed to feel knowing that Gansey is going to die. Yeah, that really puts a damper on my OTP. I don't know how, but Gansey has become one of my newest fictional boyfriends after this book with his charming nerdy/old world-ish personality.

Also, there is a lot of foreshadowing to his end, which scares me a lot, but then again, I have been warned since the summary of the first book. So...

We also have the introduction of the Grey Man, who at first, I thought was a bit random, but I have learned to slowly love. He's a pretty awesome dude, and there is some shipping of him with another character, which I'm totally for since the Dick and Jane thing will obviously not work out.

I don't know how, but this book has become one of my favourite reads this year. The Raven Cycle is a difficult series to grasp the first try, but it's definitely one of the ones that steal your heart.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...