Tuesday, 30 September 2014

Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas


16034235

Author: Sarah J. Maas
Pages: 404 pages
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Release Date: August 2nd, 2012
Status: Throne of Glass #1

Synopsis:

In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.

Review

Throne of Glass was such an amazing book! It took me awhile to finish (I had to read this book at bits at  a time because I was SUPER busy this summer), but I absolutely love it! It is kick-ass, mysterious, thrilling, and just a bundle of amazingness! Celaena Sardothien is the definition of badass!

I found the book very descriptive, and normally I would find this quite annoying in a book, however, I found that the imagery that Sarah J. Maas uses to tell Calaena's story is perfect! She [Calaena] is a very mysterious and private person, and the story of her origin is kept a secret from the reader. All we know is that she was/is an assassin, and that she was imprisoned for two years before Prince Dorian came to make her his champion. She was not an easy character to love right away, but her loyalty and fierceness is what makes you love her.

What I like about this book is the fact that romance is a slow burn, because insta-love for this series would not work for me. Celaena is a complicated individual with complicated circumstances, so it makes sense for her love life to be a mess. 

I didn't like how I was able to figure out the antagonist pretty quickly, but I was surprised by the deep involvement for some characters; I can't wait to see what will happen in the next book!

Throne of Glass is a thrilling new story about a kick-ass warrior who lives by her own rules- as much as I hate to say it, but Rose Hathaway has some definite competition!

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...