Tuesday, 8 July 2014

Review: A Million Little Snowflakes by Logan Byrne



18522464
Author: Logan Byrne
Pages: 206 pages
Publisher: Square Fish
Release Date: September 14th, 2013
Received from: NetGalley
Status: Standalone

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Oliver Hurst has always been abnormally normal.

His grades are horrible, his best friend just left for Utah, and he's depressed. His overly religious parents don’t help, especially since they control every facet of his life. One stupid sentence said in desperation gets Oliver tossed in an adolescent psych ward, where his depression and fears become even more of a reality.

When Oliver meets snide, tough girl Lacey Waters he doesn't think his life could get any better, that is, until she becomes the ray of sunshine he has desperately needed on his cloudiest of days.



Review

A Million Little Snowflakes was a good read that talks about depression, overbearing parents, being a teenager, and finding out who you are.


The story is about Oliver Hurst, a teenage boy who's just always been normal. After his best friend moves away, he is left with his overly religious family, and life slowly spirals out of control from there as he sinks into depression and does poorly on his SAT. After slipping up one night at dinner, Oliver's father takes him to a psych ward where he is introduced to the ins and outs of hospital life and mental stress as a teen. He also meets Lacey Waters, a tough and guarded girl who helps him fight his dark side.


This book was an easy read- it probably took me about 3-4 hours to read. It was cute, and Oliver is an amazing narrator. He's sarcastic, and despite thinking of himself as 'average' is a very rational and logical person. His family is devout Christian, and he knows he has been sheltered his entire life. When he meets Lacey, he is immediately infatuated with her.


Although I felt his romance with Lacey was rushed (he was only in the ward for 10 days), they are adorable together. Lacey does distance himself from her quite a lot (which did bother me at times), but the two learn how to deal with their problems and learn how to love each other.


When I started reading the book and realized that it was going to take place inside the ward, I was not really amused and was very iffy to move on. But, I found that Oliver living inside the ward did help build his character and make him a better person. He opened up more, and learned how to speak up to his mother, and learned how to make new friends.


I loved how he developed as a character, and I loved his relationship with Lacey by the end of the story. But, by the end of the story (and I really do mean the END of the story), I was not the happy reader I was in the beginning. Without to spoil anyone, I'll just put it in terms that everyone will understand: I was John Greened by Logan Byrne.


It was a cute and quick read, and although I wasn't a fan of the VERY END, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I also liked how Logan Byrne sort of made things come full circle.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...