Tuesday, 24 June 2014

Review: Born of Illusion by Teri Brown






Author: Teri Brown
Pages: 373 pages
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Released Date: June 11, 2013
Received from: IndigoTeen
Status: Born of Illusion #1


Synopsis (from Goodreads):


Anna Van Housen has a secret.

A gifted illusionist, Anna assists her mother, the renowned medium Marguerite Van Housen, in her stage show and séances, easily navigating the underground world of magicians, mediums, and mentalists in 1920’s New York. As the illegitimate daughter of Harry Houdini—or so Marguerite claims—sleight of hand illusions have never been a challenge for Anna. The real trick is keeping her own gifts secret from her opportunistic mother. Because while Marguerite’s own powers may be a sham, Anna possesses a true ability to sense people’s feelings and foretell the future.

But as Anna’s powers intensify, she begins to experience frightening visions of her mother in peril, which leads her to explore the powers she’s tried so long to hide. And when a mysterious young man named Cole moves into the flat downstairs, introducing Anna to a secret society that studies people with gifts like hers, she is forced to confront her past and rethink everything she’s ever known. Is her mother truly in danger, or are Anna’s visions merely illusion? And could the great Houdini really be her father, or is it just another of Marguerite’s tricks?


From Teri Brown comes a world bursting with magic, with romance, and the temptations of Jazz Age New York—and the story of a girl about to become the mistress of her own destiny.

Review


Note: I received this book from a giveaway. This does not change my review in any way.

Born of Illusion was a dazzling and lovely read that made me want to dress up in flapper clothes and learn magic tricks!


The story is about Anna, a girl raised to help her mother look better during performances. What no one knows is that she can actually do what her mother does because she's the real thing. When Anna and her mother finally settle down in New York City, their lives get turned upside down. Anna meets a lot of mysterious people, and worse, she's having terrible visions of the future once again. She'll do anything to make sure her vision doesn't come true, but Anna will learn that there's a price that comes with using her powers.


I really did enjoy this book very much. I read it before (but I did forget a lot of parts to the book), and when I received my copy from Indigo, I fell in love with the book once again.


Anna is really a teenager- she's confused, she's always upset with her mom, and falling in love is totally foreign to her. However, she proves that she is remarkable by having to deal with a demanding and primadonna mother, and proving that she can play the starring role.


There were times I felt she was a little naïve as to what was going on, and felt like she should've been much more suspicious of certain people (*coughs*Owen*coughs*), but it's the first time in her life where she's finally being treated as her own person and not her mother's little shadow, so I guess it's alright.


My mind was constantly racing throughout this book because I didn't have a clear idea of who was after Anna. I had a couple of people in mind, but the grand master of the whole entire scheme wasn't obvious to me at all, and I had to read the sentence a couple times before my brain actually registered who it was.


This book was an easy read, and I liked it a lot. I felt bad because Cole was always shoved to the back of Anna's mind, and he really is the sweetest character ever. My favourite parts of the book are when Anna and Mr. Darby are talking about his experiments, and how Anna get's Dante to help her in her act and how proud his father is of his son- that was a good moment.


Overall, Born of Illusion was a great read. The plot was nicely done, although I wasn't really happy with the fact that the master mind behind most of the conflict was someone that I found wasn't entirely there the whole time. Other than that, you do really get the feel of Jazz Age NYC, and yes, Harry Houdini does appear in this book, and magic is made!


I can't wait to read the next book, Born of Deception, which is out now! You can go read my Bookish Book Theories post on it here.


Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...