Tuesday, 3 June 2014

DNF Review: Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin




12924275
Author: Bethany Griffin
Published: April 24th, 2012
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Received from: my public library

Summary (from Goodreads):

Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population, and those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery makeup . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club, and Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find not just something to live for, but something to fight for—no matter what it costs her.

I really do try my best to review all the books that I read, but Masque of the Red Death was not a book that sat well with me.

It had a great concept, but there was a lot of things that I just found I didn't really like.

I think the first thing that made me not like the book was the beginning- it was pretty boring, and didn't really catch my attention at all. I think I was probably close to the halfway point of the book before I actually did stop reading it, hoping that the story would pick up. It did at one point, but then it just sorta didn't catch on from there.

I was really confused with the setting of this book. Like, I thought this book took place in the future and everything went back to Victoriana (or was that another book synopsis I read?), but then it was making allusions to being set in the early 1900s, but her dad made a mask to save humanity after some mysterious disease killed the majority of the world (or something similar to that).

I also was not really pleased with Araby- she was very mopy, and complained a lot, and I just wasn't connecting with her a lot. I think the only time I actually liked her was when she told her servant to buy a mask for one of Will's sibling s(since they only had one), that was a cute scene.

But other than that part, I really didn't like Araby. I didn't feel like her friendship with her friend seemed real. And the introduction to the main guy characters was really confusing. One minute she's describing the scary looking bouncer, then she finds him handsome and that it's Will. And the introduction of Elliot was so weird. She was like, in a room, and didn't know if she saw him or not, then she passed out. But later on, we learn that he doesn't live at home because he's part of their post-apocalyptic-Victorian world's version of the Dead Poet's Society.


And I really, really, reaaalllly didn't like how the story just seemed a choppy, and seemed to jump scenes. I actually found myself going back more, trying to read what happened before that lead Araby to the scene I was actually at.

I really did try reading this book, but I really couldn't finish it. I feel bad, but I couldn't do it as well.

1 comment:

  1. I love when an author makes you love someone who thought you loathed! Awesome review this is another series I need to read.

    I like this site :: San Antonio Moving companies website

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...