Monday, 23 June 2014

Bookish Book Theories: Sisters Fate by Jessica Spotswood



I'm sorry this took so long to get published! I tried making a video for this, but unfortunately, it didn't turn out well! So after 5 hours of trying to upload the video, I finally decided to write the post! So here it is, the final Bookish Book Theories post for the Cahill Witch Chronicles, Sisters' Fate.

I do want to note that I own an ARC copy of Star Cursed (the book I use to base my theories off of), but I received it AFTER it's publication. I have not read the final copy of the book, and I am aware that some of the examples I use from the book may be a little different from what I read.




17620113

A fever ravages New London, but with the Brotherhood sending suspected witches straight to the gallows, the Sisters are powerless against the disease. They can’t help without revealing their powers—as Cate learns when a potent display of magic turns her into the most wanted witch in all of New England.

To make matters worse, Cate has been erased from the memory of her beloved Finn. While she’s torn between protecting him from further attacks and encouraging him to fall for her all over again, she’s certain she can never forgive Maura’s betrayal. And now that Tess’s visions have taken a deadly turn, the prophecy that one Cahill sister will murder another looms ever closer to its fulfillment.




Warning: This post does contain spoilers! DO NOT continue reading if you have not read the Cahill Witch Chronicles nor have caught up with the series!


The Prophecy


Before I actually do start making predictions, I want to write down what I know about the Prophecy.


  1. One of the sisters will kill the other. There will only be two sisters that will see the turn of the century; however, it's only 1897 in Star Cursed.
  2. One will bring ruin (Maura, obviously), one will bring healing and death (Cate), and one will bring peace, but sacrifices must be made before that.
  3. Tess is the oracle, therefore she will bring peace. However, she's only about thirteen, so she needs a regent to rule in her place before she comes of age.
  4. There will be three sacrifices before Tess can restore peace.
  5. Cate will be bringing death to the party.
Changing Fate


So, if you have read the book, you know that there was a part where Tess and Cate (with the help of Maura) try saving the people imprisoned in that large barn by the Brotherhood from being transferred to work ships. This does work, however the next morning, some of the captives are arrested once again and are actually sent away on the ships.


There is a lot of foreshadowing of fate and trying to change a destiny in the book. We see from the Cahill sister's efforts that it didn't really end well, but they were able to bring some hope and change. It shows that changing fate isn't impossible, but there still will be repercussions.


Brenna (and I'm pretty sure Zara) tell Cate and Tess that changing fate is impossible (or something along those lines), but I'm pretty sure that even though Cate's fate seems dead-locked by the end of the book (Brenna predicted she'll bring healing and death, which did come true), she'll do everything in her power to stop it while trying to save the world.


The reason why I think she'll try to change it is because her mother was able to delay fate long enough- she was able to give her and her sister's a normal life for a little while.


I think the reason she'll try to change her fate is because she'll realize what it will cost her instead what it will cost others.


The Misguided Rebel


Maura has come a long way from the first book- and in a bad way as well. Not only has she accomplished to be selfish, rude, and arrogant, she's proven that she is totally disloyal to her sisters.


I was hoping for a little redemption of Maura's character in this book, however, she didn't try at all. She is fueled on her anger- her anger with Cate being the eldest, with Elena rejecting her, for being restricted to use her magic, and for Tess liking Cate more. Oh, and she's also angry that she hasn't started having prophesizes yet.


I have NO sympathy for this character at all. I am waiting for her to die, and I think I will be rejoicing when her character is finally cut off.


However, I don't think she'll die because Cate killed her, but I think that she'll die because of her.


According to Brenna, Cate will be the one bringing death, BUT, three sacrifices will be made before Tess can restore peace. It's obvious that at the end of Star Cursed, Cate is ready to kill Maura after erasing her from Finn's memories. But, I believe that Maura will die a different way, aside from the obvious (which is Cate killing her herself.


I imagine Maura dying during an epic battle scene where Elena, Cate, Tess and all the other good witches are battling against Maura and Inez. I think, while defending Cate, Elena will die because of Inez, and after seeing this, Maura will sacrifice herself by saving Cate as well.


This makes two sacrifices and fulfills Cate bringing death, since because of her Maura and Elena are dead (and probably a lot more people as well).


The Prophesized One


I feel so sorry for little Tess since she's the prophesized one. She has the burden of the world on her shoulders, and is in a lot of danger.


I believe that Tess will be captured at one point in the book. I feel like that while Cate is focused on trying to save Finn, she'll be taken by either the Brotherhood or Inez's team. But she will be set free, because if she isn't then there isn't really an end to the book.


I feel like aside from being physically taken from Cate, Maura and Inez will do everything to manipulate her perception of Cate. I also think that they're going to use their dad as bait to get Tess onto their side. Because Inez needs Tess to rule, and she'll do anything to get her.


Also, when Brenna tells Cate that Tess isn't broken yet, I don't think she'll go insane because of her visions; I think her heart will be broken, because she'll have to make some hard decisions.


Forgotten Lover


Finn. OH FINN. WHY! WHY?!?




I still can't get over the fact that he has no memory of Cate. At all. I don't know what's going to happen to Finn, except I know for the most part of the book, it will be bad things.


I don't know how extensive the mind-magic that Maura did on him was, but the way she made it sound was that she made him forget everything. I saw that in the book that their Dad (Brendan) is a lot like Finn, especially with the whole 'being protective thing'. I really do think that Maura erased his memory because she was jealous, and because she knows that Finn will be the biggest obstacle of eliminating Cate.


I know that Finn will remember her, but I really don't hope it won't be one of those sad, last minute realization things when he's at the brink of death. Because that would make me cry even harder.


I really don't want to admit this, but I think Finn may be the last sacrifice. I think he will sacrifice himself for Cate, and after that, Tess would be able to finally restore peace. Brenna does tell Cate that she cannot save them both, and I don't think she was talking about Maura (because by the end of the book, she's done with her); I think she meant Finn and Tess, and we all know who Cate will choose for the greater good.


I don't personally like this theory because I'm still hoping for Cate and Finn to get married (we've been waiting since Born Wicked, so I think we deserve it).


The Saviour


Although Cate will bring death, I still label her as a saviour, because I know for a fact she will try to save everyone till her last breath.

Like I said before, Brenna tells Cate that she will bring death. This can be interpreted in a lot of ways: death of a family member, death of a loved one, death of innocent people, death of relationships, death of the Brotherhood etc.

I think Cate will kill a lot of people (on purpose) to end their suffering from the disease when she's out on nursing missions with the Sisterhood. I think that's how she's going to unleash her power, and that's how she's going to be the most wanted witch in New England.

It's obvious that Cate's going to live and become Tess's regent before she becomes of age, but I feel like she's going to try to kill herself.

Sacrifices must be made (I have no idea where I quoted that from, probably from Last Sacrifice), and I think that after Maura dies, Elena and a bunch of other people die, and Finn dies, she'll try reversing their deaths (well, at least Finn's death), by killing herself, but it will be reject and she'll live.

OR, she'll try sacrificing her magic to save Tess and help restore peace, and that will count as the third sacrifice (because I really don't want to see Finn die).



So that's the end of my Bookish Book Theories post! Again, sorry for the late upload! What do you guys think? Share your own theories bellow!


Till next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...