Thursday, 19 June 2014

ARC Review: Wayfarer by Lili St. Crow



18079680

Author: Lili St. Crow
Pages: 346 pages
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: March 6th, 2014
Received from: publisher

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

New York Times bestselling author Lili St. Crow thrilled legions of fans with her dark paranormal series Strange Angels. Now she has created a stirringly romantic, deliciously spooky update of Cinderella, the alluring second volume in her trilogy Tales of Beauty and Madness.

Ellie Sinder is a Charmer—the most powerful of her age that St. Juno’s Academy has ever seen. But Ellie’s stepmother, Laurissa, wields manipulation and abuse to force Ellie to work her spells ever more intensely, for Laurissa’s profit.

Then a train from over the Wastelands arrives in New Haven, bearing on it golden boy Avery Fletcher, newly returned from prep school, wearing a sweater Ellie’d love to bury her face in and a smile as bright as his blond hair. Avery’s arrival sets Laurissa off on a dark and dangerous scheme—and this time the soul up for grabs is Ellie’s.

New York Times bestselling author Lili St. Crow has created a stirringly romantic, deliciously spooky update of Cinderella, the alluring second volume in her trilogy Tales of Beauty and Madness.


Review

Note: I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not, in any way, affect my review or my rating for the book.

Wayfarer is the charming, magical and thrilling sequel in the Tales of Beauty & Madness series! It was fast-paced, action-packed, and full of mystery, magic and drama that will make you see fairytales in a different light.

The story is about Ellen Sinder, a once privileged daughter of a well-known lawyer who's life has gone to hell ever since he died. Like any typical Cinderlla story, Ellen has to deal with the repercussions of her father's death by dealing with her stepmother, Laurissa, but unfortunately for Ellen, her step-mother's not only keen on beating her and ruining her life- no, this step-monster from hell also has magical powers. 


When I first started this book (by the way, I got the ARC before it was released), I had the hardest time reading it because I didn't read the first book, and was utterly confused with all the terms thrown at me in the beginning. But, after sitting down and reading it without stopping, I not only learned what the terms meant, but that the story itself was pretty great.


Since I didn't read the first story (which is apparently about Cami), I wasn't really familiar with the world or terms. When I was reading I was thinking about Great Gatsby a lot- is that weird? The reason why I thought Gatsby for 98% of the book's setting is because of the Waste, and my brain automatically registered 'Waste' as the 'Valley of Ashes'.


Normally, with Cinderella retells, I get a little agitated when the Cinderella in the book doesn't do anything to save herself. In Ellen's case, I wasn't as upset with her helplessness because, well, her step-mother is really good at 'charming' people to make them believe that she's a good person, and in magic in general.


I never felt more sorry for a MC till I read Wayfarer. I got a little excited when Rita came, because I thought: "FINALLY! She get's a friend at home!", but that faded after a couple pages. I was impressed at how Ellen was able to keep the abuse hidden, but I just didn't understand why she wouldn't tell Cami or Ruby or Avery, because they were always willing to help her!


Avery was a great character, and I liked him a lot. He was so sweet, and he was so into Ellen; I was a little suspicious with him because he did seem way to nice in such a dark story, but no, that sweetness and niceness is really his personality.


Overall, it was a good book, despite the fact that it did take me awhile to read it. Wayfarer is a great read, and I really do recommend reading the first book and second book back to back, because if this story was great, than the first one was great as well!





Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...