Sunday, 15 June 2014

5 WEEK SUMMER HIATUS: I'M GOING ON AN EXCHANGE!!! (Sorta)

Okay, for all those who don't already know (but I have mentioned this a couple times on twitter), but from July to August, I will be taking part in an French exchange. Sorta.


In Canada, we have this awesome French program called MyExplore, where Anglophone students (moi) can go on a 5-week French program to any part of the country; Francophone students also get to participate in a 5-week English program to any part of the country as well. It's a government bursary program where students are drawn by lottery, and pretty much get to learn French at a pretty reasonable price.


The reason why I said that this is a French exchange (sorta), is because it's more immersion than exchanging. I think the only reason why people consider it as an 'exchange' is because you do have an option to do homestay if you don't want to stay on campus, but other than that, there isn't really much exchanging going on.


The whole purpose of this program is to get people to improve their written, spoken, and reading skills in French. However, since this government funded, if you speak English, you're out!


With that being said, I have no idea I'll be able to blog during my exchange, and that's a big problem for me.


One of the former immersion/exchange students who went the previous summer did say it was a strict program; apparently, one girl in their dorm was scolded for blasting English songs while she took a shower.


So, if I'm not even allowed to listen to English songs, I don't think I'll be allowed to review and blog and go on social media and talk to you all. The campus I am staying at does have free wifi, but we do have monitors walks around and well, monitoring us 24/7 to make sure that we don't speak English and are actually learning French.


I know, I know, you're probably thinking, "Why not blog in your room?". Well, I could, but 1) I don't own a laptop anymore, and 2) we have to pay $35 for 30GB- and yes, that's supposed to last us for 5 weeks.


At this point, I will be going on hiatus from July 4th-August 9th (or 10th). So if my blog is looking a little scarce with blog post, its because:
  1. I ACTUALLY HAVE EXAMS, STARTING WEDNESDAY, AND NO LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I HAVE NOT STARTED STUDYING, AND I SHOULD PROBABLY GET ON THAT.
  2. I'm trying to cope with the fact that I'm leaving in a couple of weeks, and wrap my head around the fact that before that, I'm going to a concert (I'm going to see Paramore).
  3. I'm packing.
  4. I'm saving all my posts and trying to make it last from July 4th to August 9th (or 10th).
So yeah, I'm sorry for the lack of blog posts, and I am totally sorry for the fact that I'll be gone for practically two months. I'm nervous, excited, and a little bummed that I won't be able to get a summer job this year- I guess I am staying home for uni *sighs*.


But, I still have a couple more weeks (probably less than that) before I actually leave, and I will try my best to post before I leave. But like I said, I'm in between exams, queuing posts, and packing. However, I am still alive!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds stressful, but it has to be a great way to learn a language so I wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rachael!

      It is a little stressful, but they do everything in their power to make sure that we actually learn it. We have school for 4 hours a day, specialty classes made JUST for speaking French, and we get to go on cool field trips. I'm excited, and nervous!

      Delete
  2. It sounds pretty strict, but it is a really good way to help learn French, I wouldn't be able to do it because even though I understand French pretty fairly, I'd never be able to speak it fully. Good luck and I hope you get a chance to go on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty strict, and I'm leaving very soon, and I'm a mess of excitement and worry! I hope I do get to go on my blog! Thanks for your good wishes!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...