Thursday, 22 May 2014

Review: The Only Boy by Jordan Locke


20339413
Author: Jordan Locke
Pages: 268 pages
Publisher: CreateSpace
Release Date: December 17th, 2013
Received from: Giselle @ Xpresso Book Tours

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

Mary is stuck in Section One, living with three hundred women in a crumbling hospital. She wonders what life was like two centuries ago, before the Cleansing wiped out all the men. But the rules—the Matriarch's senseless rules—prevent her from exploring the vacant city to find out.

Taylor's got a dangerous secret: he's a boy. His compound's been destroyed, and he's been relocated to Section One. Living under the Matriarch means giving up possessions, eating canned food and avoiding all physical contact. Baggy clothes hide his flat chest and skinny legs, but if anyone discovers what lies beneath, he'll be exiled. Maybe even executed.

Mary's never seen a boy—the Matriarch cut the pictures of men from the textbooks—and she doesn't suspect Taylor's secret. If she knew, she might understand the need to stop the girls from teasing him. If she knew, she might realize why she breaks the rules, just to be near him. Then again, she might be frightened to death of him.

Taylor should go. The Matriarch is watching his every move. But running means leaving Mary—and braving the land beyond the compound's boundaries


Review

When I got the book, I was really excited! I didn't start reading it right away because I had other things going on, but I decided to open this book because I was really having a hard time writing and wasn't in the mood to read Wayfarer.

Reading the synopsis of this book, I was super excited because this thing sounded AMAZING! Read the first couple chapters, I was hooked, but then, things started to go down hill, and by the end of the book, I was literally like this:


Have you ever read one of those books that just put you in a state of so freaking done and gave you the wrong type of feels? Well, for me, this book was it.

I really was hooked by the synopsis, and I had to admit, I loved how the first couple pages sucked me in immediately... but it fell flat. The story's premise is a good one, and I felt like it could've been executed way better.

The story is about a girl named Mary, living in a world where boys don't exist. When a girl named Taylor arrives in their Section, she is immediately drawn to her, and later learns her greatest secret: she's really a he. What happens next is the fall out of learning Taylor's secret, and the consequences of falling in love with someone who supposedly doesn't exist.

The beginning (and I cannot emphasis this enough) had a great start, but as the story progressed, I wasn't feeling it anymore. The first problem I had as a reader was the fact that the story was told in dual POV; most times, I don't mind that, and I enjoy having both genders tell their side of the story, but not for this book. The way the story was plotted didn't really help it build to the climax.

I mean, there were some nice, cute parts that I liked between the two characters, but I didn't like the world building and I didn't really enjoy the side characters, and by the end of the story, I didn't have any feels left because I was so frustrated!

The world that was created had so much potential, but I felt it took a back seat to Taylor and Mary's story. The book is 268 pages long- it could've had another 200 pages. No, not 200 pages of JUST world building, but developing the world to the point I could feel how suffocating and destroyed their world is. I would've like another 200 pages of getting to know Mary and Taylor's relationship with other characters because I felt like it was too rushed.

And the plot! THE PLOT!



I didn't like it. I really didn't. I just... I couldn't deal. I totally felt like the plot flopped because the world wasn't built properly, and the relationships of the characters were too hastily written.

I was so disappointed. Like, I would've liked more explanation as to way people died; I would've liked to know why girls were immune; but Taylor is the only boy that seems immune; and I would've liked to see a better resistance from both sides.

There was a part where we learn how Taylor became the only boy (hence the title)- it was near the end, and it was like literally a conversation. I was just like...

That could've been revealed so much better. You don't even know. And the side characters were not my favourite. I think the only person I enjoyed was Rose, and she wasn't even the story for long.

The Matriarch, her daughter Katherine, and Joanne (or is it Johanna?) were the ones I didn't like the most. And Wren. Oooooooooooh, by the end, I was so done with her.

Anyways, the book, could've been better. There was so much potential. I just think it could've been done better. What I did like though, was that it did hook me right off the bat.

But yeah, other than that, I was so done. I feel bad writing this review, but that's just my honest opinion.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...