Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

9460487

Author: Ransom Riggs
Pages: 348
Publisher: Quirk
Release Date: June 7th, 2011
Received from: Chapters Indigo
Status: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children (#1)

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.


Note: I received this book and it's sequel as a present. This does not affect my review!


Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children was an enjoyable book with peculiar pictures, fascinating characters, and a fast-paced plot.



The story is about Jacob, who can only described his life as Before and After. Before his grandpa's death, he was just a normal, rich kid from the suburbs. After his death, Jacob is thrust into a world full of danger and peculiar children from his grandfather's past.


I really loved the plot of this story. I enjoyed how good the pace was, and how good everything was planned out. Everything played out as a movie in my head and I really liked how I was able to follow everything.


Jacob was a good character. He makes a lot of mistakes and isn't as strong as he would like to be, and I liked how I got to see him grow in this book. He was a good narrator and I really enjoyed his POV. 


My only problem was, I didn't like everyone else in the book. Jacob's parents weren't my fave, and neither were the peculiars. I guess Miss. Peregrine was the only one I semi-liked because her irrational and frantic words/decisions came from protecting them. But everyone else needed more character development. I didn't like Jacob's parents because sometimes his dad would say things that would make him sound like a kid; his mom played the role of a spoiled princess in the beginning though. I just didn't like them, and was pretty happy they weren't there the entire book. 


But the children, yeah, they weren't my favourite. I don't whether it's because I know they're all older than they appear or the pictures kid of distort their characterization in the book (although they're cool/creepy pictures). I didn't like Emma. I actually really didn't like her. It's not because she and Jacob's grandpa had something before (although I had a bit of trouble with that but I got over it), but it's the fact that she acts completely irrational and so stupid sometimes. I feel sorry for Jacob because sometimes her words will come out a little harsh. The only peculiar I do like is Millard, because who doesn't want an invisible friend?


Overall the story was good. The world was set up great and the plot was planned flawlessly. Jacob was an amazing narrator, but I would have liked to see the other characters develop more and see Jacob's relationship with all of them develop as well.


Rating: 3 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...