Friday, 4 April 2014

Blogger Life (#6): Why Don't People Like Reading? Discussion Post





This is a genuine question of mine: why don't people like reading? Obviously, you guys (my bookish blogger pals) love to read, but I'm talking about them. The people that ask us why we read, why we like reading, why we enjoy reading and then blogging about it.



Do you know how many times I get asked: "You like to read?" from a person in disbelief? And do you know how many times I hear said person say: "I don't have time" or "I don't like to read", even though said person can read a billion text messages or tweets?


I totally get the "I don't have time" excuse, because sometimes I don't have time to read. There are days where I do have time to just relax and read through as many books as my fangirl heart desires, and there are days when I don't have time and I just say "eff this, I'm reading!"



And then there are days when I just can read at all. Sometimes this can go for weeks. And it bothers me.


But what about those people that say "I don't like to read"? What do you think their deal is, and why do you think they don't like to read?


And most importantly, what do you think book bloggers can do to get more people to read? Share your thoughts bellow, I really do appreciate your opinion! This is a really important discussion that I need for a research project!

1 comment:

  1. This is such an interesting topic. I don't know how many times I have called heard reading called a lame habit. I get to escape and go into a whole new world with amazing characters every time I pick up a book. I get the chance to escape from the tasks of every day life even if it is only for a few minutes at a time. I don't really have time to read. It is tough finding time to do anything as a full time college student besides homework, but because I love to read so much I make time. Some days the only time I have to read is right before I go to bed. Other days I make a deal with myself and tell myself the finish this assignment then you can read. I think if it is something you love to do you will always find time for it. On the other hand there is a lot of people in this world that have time to scroll through facebook, tweet, text, read magazines, and read the newspaper, but will never pick up a single novel because they do not have time. If we added all the minutes up that we waste within a single day I'm pretty sure any person could find 5 minutes to read whether it be during their lunch break or right before they go to bed. Reading opens up a whole new world and it is something I always want to be doing. The people that read book bloggers are usually readers so our difficult task is to get the non-readers to care or understand. I think non-readers need to introduced to one good book to understand why we continue this passion of reading. Maybe one day with they stumble across a book blog they will find a review that makes them really want to read a book or a movie that is coming out sounds interesting so they read the book. I believe anybody can be a reader. It is a passion that last for a lifetime. Thanks for opening up this topic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...