Monday, 10 March 2014

Review: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi








Author: Veronica Rossi 
Pages: 374 pages
Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: January 3rd, 2012
Received From: the library  
Status: Under the Never Sky #1


Synopsis (from Goodreads):

Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered.

This was worse.


Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland--known as The Death Shop--are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild--a savage--and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile--everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky

Under the Never Sky was actioned packed and totally thrilling- I could not put this book down!

So this story is about two different people: Aria, a girl from the Reverie, who has been exiled, and Perry, a boy from an Outsider tribe, who ran away to redeem himself. Both meet early on in the book looking for clues, but later reunite to solve both their problems together.

I loved this story. The last few books I've been reading were all YA paranormal and I just found this so refreshing. I loved the pace and I loved the development of everything- from the characters to the plot.

Personally for me, I found the first couple of chapters very boring and confusing because there was just so many terms to keep up with and a lot of the beginning was just paragraphs of description. Like literally, it took me forever to realize that the Aether was something in the sky and not the monster (there was a moment when I swore this book turned into The Lord of the Flies). 

Other than that, I found no problem with this book. There were so many things I was wrong about in this story. Like, there was a point where I just read into the book too much that I thought Marron was Aria's dad (which, by the way, he's not).

I liked the set up of Aria's whole backstory- I knew that she wasn't a normal Dweller early on, but learning about her mom's job really shocked me. Another thing I really didn't see coming was Vale's betrayal. I didn't noticed how many people were missing till Perry figured it out in the end.

But my favourite thing about this book was the build up of the characters. I lived every single one of them. I liked how Aria went from being so pathetic to like a Rose Hathaway-warrior character; I likes how Perry went from so freaking annoying to stealing my heart. I loved Roar- I really want to see more of him- and I enjoyed the build up for Cinder's character. I really want to know his ties to the Aether. Is he like Aether personified? I don't know. 

Aria and Perry's relationship was a good build up, and I like how they went from blackmailing and hating each other to being allies to actually falling in love. They both admitted they found each other hot, but it wasn't insta-love. I ship them. I was so happy that Perry realized he loved her because I was very upset how it was hinted early one that he and Brooke had a thing. 

The world building in this book was flawless. I (very) rarely find YA dystopian worlds built nicely. But there was a part in both Aria and Perry's perspective where I SWORE that the Tides were Vikings. And then when to Marron's tribe I swore that we stepped into the Infernal Devices. 

Overall, I loved this book! I enjoyed it and I finished it in a night! And I'm so glad I got the sequel with me when I had the chance so now, I can read Through the Ever Night!

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...