Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Review: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins



6936382

Author: Stephanie Perkins
Pages: 372 pages
Publisher: Dutton
Release Date: December 2nd, 2010
Received from: my public library
Status: Anna and the French Kiss #1

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. She is less than thrilled about boarding school in Paris - until she meets √Čtienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, he has it all - including a serious girlfriend. Will Anna get her French kiss?


REVIEW

WARNING! THIS REVIEW INCLUDES EXCESSIVE FANGIRLING. AND FEELS!

Anna and the French Kiss is probably the sweetest and most swoon-worthy YA contemporary since Fangirl. Like, Pushing the Limits and the Promise of Amazing brought out my feels, and Fangirl made me Fangirl like it was my job, but this book made me go 'awwwweeeeee' every second (aside from the moments where I DID want to cry because the characters were going in circles).

The story is about Anna Oliphant. She's a senior from Georgia look forward for her last year, but then her NYT Bestselling author father (and total sell out and butthole) signs her up from boarding school in Paris. WITHOUT her permission. When she gets there, she isn't ready because 1) she's on her own. IN PARIS. 2) she has no friends and 3) she has no freaking clue in speaking French. But when she meets Meredith, an avid school player, she gets pulled into a life she never thought she'd live: a normal, free life full of normal teenage problems. In a boarding school. In Paris.

I LOVED this book so much! I thought that there were a lot of cute moments in the book and it was really swoon worthy! Anna had some any nice one liners, and so did some of the other characters. My favourite line in the book was when Etienne called their school, School of America in Paris "SOAP" and she's just like, "Nice. My father sent me here to be cleansed." I found that hilarious!

This book was mostly centred around Etienne and Anna's relationship. They do go around a lot in this book, and I found Etienne a little stupid for not breaking up with his girlfriend earlier in the book because it was OBVIOUS TO EVERYONE that he was in love with Anna. But in the end, he does redeem himself, especially when we actually get to meet his messed up dad. Anna was a little annoying to at times because she was blaming other for her problems and just shutting herself out of the world when things got tough, but I'm glad she figured everything out in the end. I was #TeamBananaElephant at the end of the book when she punched Amanda. I was really upset when she didn't break anything though.

The side characters were well written as well. I found that Meredith and Rashmi played an important role with her character development, as well as Brigette (even though she was in the US), Toph and Dave (who were both jerks). I would've liked to see more Josh, but since we get him in Isla and the Happily Ever After, I'm totally fine with the way things ended off for him. For now.

Anyway, if you haven't read this book, I suggest you do! It's the most adorable thing in the world and if you need a happy book to get you out of mourning period, THIS IS FOR YOU!

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...