Monday, 3 March 2014

Bookish Book Theories: Her Dark Curiosity by Megan Shepherd



Time for another Bookish Book Theories post and today, I am theorizing Her Dark Curiosity by Megan Shepherd! Here's the cover and synopsis! Note, this post will contain spoilers! AND, if you have read the book, please do not spoil it for me! Thanks!


16182304


To defeat the darkness, she must first embrace it.

Months have passed since Juliet Moreau returned to civilization after escaping her father's island—and the secrets she left behind. Now, back in London once more, she is rebuilding the life she once knew and trying to forget Dr. Moreau’s horrific legacy—though someone, or something, hasn’t forgotten her.

As people close to Juliet fall victim one by one to a murderer who leaves a macabre calling card of three clawlike slashes, Juliet fears one of her father’s creations may have also escaped the island. She is determined to find the killer before Scotland Yard does, though it means awakening sides of herself she had thought long banished, and facing loves from her past she never expected to see again.

As Juliet strives to stop a killer while searching for a serum to cure her own worsening illness, she finds herself once more in the midst of a world of scandal and danger. Her heart torn in two, past bubbling to the surface, life threatened by an obsessive killer—Juliet will be lucky to escape alive.

With inspiration from Robert Louis Stevenson’s The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, this is a tantalizing mystery about the hidden natures of those we love and how far we’ll go to save them from themselves.


I know that this book came out on January 28th, but unfortunately for me, I can't buy the book and it will take MONTHS for my public library to process it, so I have not read it yet. So please, no spoilers in the comments for the post! This post is dedicated to my own thoughts, predictions and musings!

Jack the Ripper

I don't actually know if this is even near the time of Jack the Ripper, but I do know that whomever is killing her friends is leaving a bloody trail like the Ripper.

I think that the killer will be Edward. I mean, the last time we saw him, he wasn't dead and we all know that he has killed before and if his animal instinct gets to him, he won't have an conscience to even think twice about killing others. I think it is Edward because he was not happy the last time we saw him, and she did try leaving with Montgomery.

Personally for me, the theory of Edward being the killer is just too strong, but if I had any other pick, I would say her dad, but I have no idea if he actually died (did he, because when I got to the end of the book, it was 2 am), and if he did survive, I don't think he would have lasted very long- I totally see Montgomery killing him if Jaguar didn't get to him.

Jaguar is another possible killer, but he seems to be on Montgomery's side. I also think that Balthazar is another possible killer, since Juliet didn't really mean to take him with her and Montgomery, but I don't think sweet Baz can do that. He's a gentle giant in my head.

However, other than Edward, other than Jaguar, other than her father and Baz, I do believe that it may be Adam. Am I crazy to think that it's Adam? We only saw him in the beginning of the first book, but he's a medical student, he obviously knows her father's work, and he may be capable of creating a creature or at least hunting her down and scaring her to give up more information of her father's wicked creations.

The Plague

Okay, Juliet doesn't have the plague, but she is really sick. I know it's been a couple months since TMD but I know that Juliet is penniless. Unless she sold her mom's stuff, then yeah, she would've bought some medication.

I never really got the whole medication thing. I know it keeps from like new tissue from forming/entering, and keeps the other creatures from regressing, but will Juliet regress too? That's the tricky part.

She was born human, but has deer organs and (maybe) a deer spin (like I said, I never really understood the medical stuff), so does that make her a chimera? I don't think she can regress because she was born, she is human and even though she is still an experiment in Henri's eyes, she's still his daughter.

Finding the cure will be really hard for her, and I really don't know if there is a cure for her. I think there maybe something for her to stop her animalistic side, but I'm not entirely sure.

The Fall

I have no idea how Juliet is still alive at this point. She's sick, she's emotionally and mentally exhausted, and she has no money (probably).

She still is technically an outlaw for stabbing Dr. Hastings (I was cheering when she did that), and I can't see her working. I would say she is hiding somewhere and Lucy is keeping her safe, but Lucy is going to be married off soon and it's not like Juliet to hide and keep cover.

I see her teaming up with Adam and using her womanly charms to woo him and get him to make something to save her or something.

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde

This is the reason why I am so effy about Juliet's health and her finding a cure or using medication. For her to embrace that 'dark side' that's hinted in the tagline of the book and repeated in the synopsis, she can't be taking anything.

To defeat her father and to get rid of whoever is hunting her, she has to be as mad and as deadly as her father was to get inside of his head and figure out how to get rid of him and his creatures once and for all. I think that maybe she takes the medication at day with only half the dosage, and at night goes all Mrs. Hyde to whomever tries to get in her way.

The Boys are Back

I'm not surprised. It's not a YA historical, psychological thriller without two guys fighting over the main character. I really want to know which of the guys does save her or something.

I think that Edward will play a bigger part in this book and Juliet's story because I believe he's doing the killings, and he's the only one that would get off the island for her. As much as I ship Montgomery and Juliet, Edward and Juliet seem like the potential couple at this point. I mean, Edward and Juliet have a lot in common and the two of them can work together to find a cure. I don't even think that Montgomery will get off the island at this point, and that her own romantic struggle will be choosing her childhood crush and the guy that is willing to do anything for her, understands her better than Montgomery ever will, and just feels a connection to- both animalistic and probably emotionally as well.

Mentally Ill

Edward, Montgomery and Juliet are probably certifiably crazy at this point. This sort of relates to the boys are back theory above.

Edward, for me, is a character I can see develop beautifully. I mean, he has a lot of flaws and his alter-ego kills people, but so far, he's protective, nice and kind with Juliet, and seems like a character that would look for redemption.

Juliet is...Juliet. I know for sure that her character is going to have to develop, and I actually can't wait for her to embrace the dark side. The reason why is because I just imagine that side of her to be much more confidant and not so whiny, and naïve, and indecisive like the first book. It was because of this that made me not like her character so much in book two, because she was so unsure and didn't know what to do. I felt like she relied too much on the guys and I didn't like how she went back and forth with the guys. Like what are you doing? I was so pissed off reading the first book, but I held on because the concept was so creepy.

Montgomery. Oi. That little... words cannot describe how much I no longer like him as much. He is only a step above Edward for me at this point. I don't know why, but I think the reason why my love for Montgomery slowly started to decrease in the first novel was just because he was so flawed as a character and seeing him through Juliet's eyes didn't help me at all. Firstly she can't choose who she likes. Secondly, he doesn't even try to get close to her for the majority of the book. Thirdly, he is too weak to stand up to her dad for like 3/4's of the novel. Fourthly, when he does find time to show his affection it's sweet but it only like, happens twice or three times in the novel. And one of those times he told her he slept with other women. Like what the hell boy?! And lastly, he is so flawed and blames himself so much at the end of the novel to the point where he won't go with Juliet, even though he knows there is a possibility she may die, she may end up on the streets which was probably one of the reasons why he took her on the island. I don't know how Montgomery is going to be redeemed in this book and how he's going to swoop in and swoon us until we melt. He is so scarred and I don't know if he's mentally prepared for Juliet to go crazy. What I want to know if he is ready to step up and stand up for himself and BE a man!

Whew! Okay, so this was a really long post! The Madman's Daughter was a book I was very in the middle about, but it was so intriguing and had such a creepy concept that I just had to make this post for it. This was really long because the characters and the story only have two directions to go in: embrace their dark side and change completely to the point where we don't recognize them, or team up, get over their demons and work together to stop the madness!

I haven't read the book yet, but I want to know YOUR thoughts and your opinions to this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...