Tuesday, 11 March 2014

ARC Review: Scintillate by Tracy Clark









Author: Tracy Clark
Pages: 304 pages
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Release Date: February 4th, 2014
Received From: the publisher 
Status: The Light Key Trilogy #1


Synopsis (from Goodreads):

A mighty flame follows a tiny spark.

Cora Sandoval’s mother disappeared when she was five and they were living in Ireland. Since then, her dad has been more than overprotective, and Cora is beginning to chafe under his confines. But even more troubling is the colorful light she suddenly sees around people. Everyone, that is, except herself—instead, she glows a brilliant, sparkling silver.

As she realizes the danger associated with these strange auras, Cora is inexplicably drawn to Finn, a gorgeous Irish exchange student who makes her feel safe. Their attraction is instant, magnetic, and primal—but her father disapproves, and Finn’s mother orders him home to Ireland upon hearing he’s fallen in love. After a fight with her father, Cora flees to Ireland, both to follow Finn and to look for her missing mother.

There she meets another silver-haloed person and discovers the meaning of her newfound powers and their role in a conspiracy spanning centuries—one that could change mankind forever…and end her life.

Scintillate is the first book in this lush and exciting new trilogy, full of romance, adventure and metaphysical mystery.


Review


I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my review in any way.



Addictive, thrilling, sexy and mysterious, Scintillate is a good paranormal YA read.


So the story is about a girl named Cora who lives with an overbearing father and a try hard stepmom in California. After she wakes up in a hospital with a fever, she notices auras around other people. Then she meets Irish exchange student Finn, and her whole world turns upside down.


I liked this book because it was actioned packed and face paced. I found Cora and Finn so cute together, and I really liked them together for 85% of the book. I like how the author does the set up of all the plots and does the pay off later on in the novel, but I didn't really appreciate the love triangle thrown in. Like, Giovanni is sweet and I see him playing a much bigger role in the next two books, but I don't like how there was so much build up between Finn and Cora, and then Giovanni waltzes right in.


When reading this book, I thought of it like a movie because of the change of settings constantly and how Cora just goes from one end of the world to the other. She wasn't my favourite character, but I see potential for her growing.


Another thing I didn't really appreciate though was how it was so slow in the beginning and ended very quickly. I admit, it ended off in a good way to make us want to know what happened next, because there are a lot of loose threads in the story.


I really liked the set up of the secret society. In the beginning it was great, but then it dragged on for a bit before finally picking up near the end. I really want to see what happens with the two groups.

Overall, it was a good read. There were parts that were slow and dragged on for awhile, but it had lots of potential to grow and develop in the next two books.


Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Your review and comments are so appreciated! I love that you're blogging at such a young age, too. I wish I'd begun seriously writing at that age. Thanks so much for your time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This book was a good read! I can't wait to see what happens next!

      And thank you! To be honest with you, I never thought I'd ever see myself writing a blog in high school. I always thought I'd be out partying, but I do party...on twitter ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...