I haven't done a Fangirl Friday post since my interview with Daisy Masterman! And that was probably back in November, yikes! But I have a good reason doing a Fangirl Friday post is because today is the Vampire Academy Movie release day here in Canada and the US!
The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead consists of six (6) books: Vampire Academy, Frostbite, Shadow Kiss, Blood Promise, Spirit Bound, and Last Sacrifice.
The series revolves around 17 year old Rosemarie "Rose" Hathaway, a half-vampire and half-human girl, also known as a dhampir. Prior to the series, she was training to become a Guardian, a professional (and deadly) body guard for her best friend Lissa Dragomir, a royal Moroi princess. But, after a car accident that kills Lissa's family, they form a psychic bond where she can feel and experience life in her best friend's head. The problem? Her best friend starts to go a little crazy, so they run away from St. Vladimir's to the human world, where they hide for two years before being dragged back by the gorgeous and lethal Guardian Dimitri Belikov. Together, they learn that there are bigger threats in St. Vlad's than they thought there were, and have to use their own strength and strong bond to survive till graduation.
I love this series guys, I honestly do. Like, if I could, I'd give them all a 5 star rating. Well, not really. Personally for me, the first two books were a little slow, but still had a nice balance between action, drama, mystery and romance. My favourite book was definitely book #3: Shadow Kiss. That one was a 5/5 for me (even with the ending).
I think the reason why Shadow Kiss was my favourite is because it wasn't all about a girl being hung up over a guy, or a girl being stuck in a love triangle (that all totally happened by the way, but not in a Bella-Edward-Jacob situation type of thing), it was about a girl who tried to have a normal life, tried to be an ordinary student with crushes, and tests, finals, losing sleep etc. But no matter how much life derailed her from being normal, she did everything in her power to make sure all those around her were safe, were happy, were normal.
Zoey Deutch (left) as Rose Hathaway showing off her muscles to Lucy Fry (Lissa) and Sarah Hyland (Natalie0 on the right.
What makes Rose totally badass? This is why?:
- She killed her first Strigoi (evil, undead vampire who like to kill humans, dhampirs, Moroi, ESPECIALLY Royal Moroi) at the age of 17. And it wasn't only one: IT WAS TWO!
- She ran away with a vampire Princess at the age of 15 from a maximum security school
- She hits first, asks questions later.
- She looks good, and KNOWS it.
- If you mess with her friends (and yes, that does include her best friend's boyfriend, Christian Ozera), then you mess with her.
- She eats. Inhales according to some people.
- She's passionate and fiercely protective. As long as you are not hurting others or an undead vampire, she will save you.
- If you want to get technical about it, Rose Hathaway is dead (she's only alive because her vampire BFF brought her back to life using her magical healing powers), but can still kick ass.
"Roses are red, but never in blue
Sharp like a thorn
Fights like one too."
-Adrian Ivashkov on Rose Hathaway, Shadow Kiss, pages 91-92
Rose Hathaway is fangirl worthy because unlike most YA female book narrators, she takes action, and doesn't wait in the side lines for someone to save her. You can find Rose on the battle field protecting others and defeating the enemy, in the library reading a book to save her friend's mental health, or standing up to the Queen of the Moroi about dhampir rights, and not giving a damn if it's treason or not.
So that's it for me this Friday! Have you guys read the Vampire Academy series? Have I sort of convinced you to read the series? By the way, reading this is TOTALLY worth it! See you all next week!