Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

**********

 10429045

Author: Tahereh Mafi 
Pages: 338 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: November 15th, 2011
Recieved From: my public library
Status: Shatter Me #1, Hardcover

Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


**********

Review:

Another great read for the New Year!

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi has been on my TBR pile since it's release date, but I'm not really able to afford many books, so library books are mostly the way I get any reading done (other from generous donations, borrowing from friends, or special occasions like my birthday or Christmas). And when I saw the book, I grabbed it immediately!

The story is about 17 year old Juliette who has been imprisoned for 3 years after an incident that made her parents let her be taken away by authorities. The last time she saw the world, it was slowly starting to crumble. Now, after three years, she'll finally get her chance, but unfortunately for her, everything isn't the same anymore, and unlike before, people want her more than ever.

I really loved this story and I really loved Mafi's writing style. There was something poetic about the way she told Juliette's story, and it really caught my attention right away. I fell in love with Juliette from the start, and as the story progressed, Mafi's story and writing style left me both loving and hating the story. I loved the story, because of the amazing characters, the plot and the nice pace it had going. I hated it because it was way too short and that I didn't try looking for the second book/putting it on hold when I had the chance.

This is DEFINITELY one of my favourite reads of 2014 so far, and I'm so happy I have enough time to catch up with the series before the third book comes out!

P.S, if you're going to read the series, GET ALL THE BOOKS!

**********
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!
**********

5 comments:

  1. I liked this one! Although I confess, I didn't like the sequel as much. I am excited for Ignite Me though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the synopsis for Unravel Me (that's the sequel right?) and to be honest, I'm not ready for it! I heard a lot of people were all #TeamWarren and I'm sitting here, like NO! You know? I need to get the sequel though, but I'm going to wait cuz I don't want to be in mourning period for too long!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry that you can't get as many books and I know waiting at the library sucks. If you were near me, I'd let you borrow all my books!

    So glad you enjoyed this one. I just loved it so much too. Wait until Unravel Me.. It's even better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw people go all #TeamWarren on twitter when they were doing a discussion, and now I'm very afraid for Unravel Me because I ship Adam/Juliette so much! I don't know, when I think of Warren, I think of Cormac Patton from Crewel and I just- *shivers*.

      I actually don't mind getting books from the library and waiting, I'm TOTALLY fine with that! What I'm NOT fine with is using a computer which has no flash, has no photoshop, doesn't have an updated IE -.-" I hate using my desktop computer, and I hate how expensive laptops are.

      Delete
  3. LOVED this book! But surprisingly as much as I loved it, I never picked up the second one. Have heard mixed reviews. But hopefully will pick it up before Ignite Me comes out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...